Friday, July 20, 2012

Hot Stretch

  I guess I'm not alone when I say we are in a bit of a hot stretch of weather. So humid, all you can do is stay inside with the air conditioning. Except when I work. Every day. I drive around in my little truck that feels more like an oven. For at least 4 hours. I wrap a bandana  around my head to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Then friendly folks come up and say, "Hot enough for ya?" Yup. But I'll take this over twenty below any day. Just bring me some cold water. Thank You.
   The other day it was super hot out while I was delivering mail. I pulled up to this one driveway and there was a little girl sitting there with a lemonade stand. I always feel like I have to buy some. Just because ,I used to be that little girl and it was hard to convince people to buy mine. So when I stop , I say, "Wow! How did you know that was exactly what I needed!" She giggled and poured me a cup. Then I asked, "How much is this nice cold drink?" She looked at me without blinking and said, "One dollar." She looked inocent, but I guess she didn't want to be out there very long. In my day, lemonade was usually 25 cents and it took forever to sell the whole pitcher. But I also had to make it myself and it usually got watered down from the ice melting. I said, "OK" and dug a dollar out of my purse. As she handed me the cup she said, "It's MinuteMaid!". I had to laugh, at least I paid for the good stuff. Hah! And did it ever hit the spot!
   Well, we did get some rain the last two days. My garden loved that! A nice summer soaker. I wish I could send some to all the farmers that need it. Wish I could bottle the smell of rain on a cornfield. Hope you all stay cool.

1 comment:

  1. I think this summer has been miserably hot everywhere.
    At least the lemonade was the good kind. ;-)

    ReplyDelete